As interviewed by The Texas Standard, the national daily news show of Texas (Ransomware Attack Leads to Breach Affecting 700 Students in 39 Texas School Districts).
On the Air: Ransomware Attack Leads to Student Data Breach in Texas Districts
- Press Conference: Rockingham County (NC) Schools Respond to a Malware Attack — When schools rely on technology for teaching, learning, and school operations, the impact of a cybersecurity incident can be [...]
- In the News: Criminals Make Schools’ Data a Target — These are new threats facing schools. They are harming individuals. They are disrupting school schedules - and class time - and they are costing schools and taxpayers a lot of money. We need an effective and comprehensive [...]
- K-12 Cybersecurity: The End of Innocence — I partnered with EdSurge to write an end-of-the-year commentary on the present and future of K-12 [...]
- In the News: The Problems with FERPA and COPPA — Both federal policies - FERPA and COPPA - presume that schools have the resources and knowledge to assess their own data security practices, to say nothing of their vendors. Emerging evidence says otherwise. [...]
- In the News: Schools Struggle to Keep Pace With Hackings, Other Cyber Threats — To better understand the cybersecurity challenges facing schools, Education Week talked with school leaders in Arizona, Connecticut, Montana, and Texas about the cybersecurity incidents they faced, and how they responded. They found that the country's K-12 information-technology leaders are likely underestimating the dangers they face and that many are failing to take even basic steps to secure their networks and [...]