School Cybersecurity Resources
As a complement to the information and resources assembled by EdTech Strategies, below please find links to select recent research, reports, and resources to help U.S. public K-12 school leaders and policymakers navigate cybersecurity and related privacy issues.
K-12 Specific Cybersecurity Resources
- U.S. Department of Education. “Security Best Practices.” Privacy Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) and the Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO).
- Consortium for School Networking (CoSN). “Cybersecurity for the Digital District, a CoSN Leadership Initiative” (Note: some resources require log-in to access; others require membership)
- Council of Great City Schools (Fall 2017). “Cyber-Security in Today’s K-12 Environment.” [PDF]
- Scott, James. (April 2017). “Sowing the Seeds of U.S. Cyber Talent.” Institute for Critical Infrastructure Technology (ICIT).
- Czuprynski, Christine N. (January 2017). “Data Security for Schools: A Legal and Policy Guide for School Boards.” [PDF]. National School Boards Association.
- Porterfield, Tony, Siegl, Jim and Fitzgerald, Bill. (March 2016). “Information Security Primer for Evaluating Educational Software.” Common Sense Media.
Select K-12 Cybersecurity Audit Reports
- Office of Inspector General. (July 2017). “Protection of Personally Identifiable Information in Indiana’s Statewide Longitudinal Data System.” [PDF]. U.S. Department of Education.
- Galloway, Nicole. (October 2016). “Summary of Audit Findings Cyber Aware School Audits (Report No. 2016-112).” [PDF]. Office of Missouri State Auditor.
- Office of Inspector General. (September 2016). “Protection of Personally Identifiable Information in Oregon’s Statewide Longitudinal Data System.” [PDF]. U.S. Department of Education.
- Office of Inspector General. (July 2016). “Protection of Personally Identifiable Information in the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Longitudinal Data System.” [PDF]. U.S. Department of Education.
- Chavez, Justin (June 2015). “School Data Security.” [PDF]. Wyoming Department of Audit.
Other Education-Specific Cybersecurity Resources
- The Future of Privacy Forum’s FERPA|Sherpa maintains a growing list of cybersecurity resources. (Note: resources are not limited only to those targeted or applicable to U.S. K-12 schools.)
General Cybersecurity Resources
- Security Planner by the Citizen Lab
- have i been pwned? (check to see if your accounts have been compromised in a data breach)
- Shelton, Martin. Current Digital Security Resources: November 2017 Edition.
- The Motherboard Guide to Not Getting Hacked
- Consumer Reports. (February 2017). 66 Ways to Protect Your Privacy Right Now.
- Surveillance Self-Defense, a project of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Digital Security Training Resources for Security Trainers, Winter 2017 Edition
- privacytools.io – encryption against global mass surveillance
- United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) Cybersecurity Tips.
- European Digital Rights (EDRi). (October 2016). “Your Guide to Digital Defenders vs. Data Intruders – Privacy for kids!” (Note: designed for youth ages 10-14 years)
Last updated: December 11, 2017.
Know a great resource that’s missing from this list, contact me.